[net-dns-users] sep() and is_sep()

Calle Dybedahl calle at init.se
Tue May 27 12:42:04 UTC 2014

Hello.

Net::DNS::SEC v0.18 deprecates the is_sep() method in Net::DNS::RR::DNSKEY, and emits a warning if it is used. This is easily fixed, of course, but if one does the resulting code no longer works at all with Net::DNS::SEC 0.17 and older.

This change was not mentioned in the release announcement for Net::DNS 0.75 and Net::DNS::SEC 0.18. The most recent mention of the is_sep() method in Net::DNS::SEC’s Changes file is from 2005. Given the extraordinary weight that Net::DNS usually places on backwards compatibility, I find this change quite surprising.

I cannot quite figure out what is the intended course of action for users of Net::DNS::SEC here. Are we supposed to force our own users to upgrade to 0.18? Not change our code, and let those who do upgrade Net::DNS::SEC simply put up with the deprecation warnings? Fix our code to check which version is installed and use the proper method, depending?

--
Calle Dybedahl
calle at init.se -*- +46 703 - 970 612