[RPKI] [EXTERNAL] RTR over SSH Pros and Cons

Compton, Rich A Rich.Compton at charter.com
Tue Sep 7 16:15:42 UTC 2021

The only reason that I’ve seen for people to do RTR over SSH is for older Cisco code that can’t source RTR traffic from a specific interface.  If the RTR traffic is encapsulated in SSH, the older Cisco code does allows sourcing that SSH client traffic from a specific interface.
We are not too concerned about protecting the confidentiality of the unencrypted RTR traffic with SSH tunneling since all of this traffic would be going across our own links.  I guess if you have this concerned about a monkey in the middle situation, then SSH tunneling might make sense.  Other than that, SSH tunneling seems to introduce more issues than it solves.

-Rich