[RPKI] Filtering of Unsafe VRPs

Martin Hoffmann martin at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Sep 15 10:22:41 UTC 2020

Hi!

Lukas Tribus wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 at 17:40, Martin Hoffmann <martin at nlnetlabs.nl>
> wrote:
> > > "unsafe" is not very descriptive. How about filtered_overlaps or
> > > something?
> >
> > I agree the name isn’t very good, but I want something short.
> > "Overlap" feels misleading to me: One might think that it refers to
> > duplicates.
>
> Ok, I'd suggest "filtered" then: it will make it obvious that it isn't
> actually accepted, and people can always consult the documentation
> when they want to know the reason for it.

I also added a metric for VRPs filtered due to of local exceptions. I
think distinguishing between the two is quite important. So,
annoyingly, just "filtered" won’t work either.

> I'd refrain from using a description that doesn't make it immediately
> obvious that the VRP is in fact filtered.

"unsafe_filtered_vrps" should indeed work. That is, in fact, what the
counter is called internally.

The reason I shortened this is that it makes using it easier when
defining custom rules in Grafana and whatnot. There is an accompanying
help text in the Prometheus metrics output that makes the meaning more
clear.

But I am fine with using the longer name.

Kind regards,
Martin