[net-dns-users] SOA rname as mailbox

Dick Franks rwfranks at acm.org
Wed May 27 20:28:28 UTC 2015

On 26 May 2015 at 11:35, tlhackque <tlhackque at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 26-May-15 05:15, Einar Lönn wrote:

[snip]

> > ... and it’s even more tiresome when the maintainer(s) try and justify
> these changes.

The justification is rooted in RFC1035.

[snip]

I agree that the change for SOA email address was a mistake and should
> have been handled better.   At this point, perhaps the only solution
> that could satisfy both camps is a switch that can be set to get one
> behavior or the other.  (E.g. $Net::DNS::RFC822_WireFormat = 1)

That would involve another change in API,  which would be about as welcome
as a fart in a spacesuit.

[snip]

I suspect that people are active on this list when their needs aren't
> met.  And since debugging DNS always needs "just one more thing", the
> list traffic disproportionately represents debuggers over customers of
> the high-level APIs.

Net::DNS is a "Perl interface to the Domain Name System".

It makes no claim to be a debugging engine, although there is plenty  of
debugging that can be done with it.

 This controversy  aside, we should remember that Dick and the other
> contributors have put a lot of work into producing a functional library,
> and do so as volunteers.  The frustration over this and other issues
> should not obscure that.

Thank you. Good to know I still have at least one friend!

I'm all for having the APIs that enable debugging.  They're handy, and
> they form the basis for the test suites of important DNS software.

We have been here before.  Olaf Kolkman posted a few years ago asking for
more specific proposals for a debugging API.  As far as I am aware, he
never received any meaningful response.

But count one user who uses the high-level APIs and does not count
> debugging DNS as the primary use case.

The overwhelming majority of users are in that category, never post on this
list, and have never filed a bug report.  The traffic here is in no way
representative of the user population at large.