[net-dns-users] SOA rname as mailbox

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue May 19 08:38:22 UTC 2015

On 5/18/15 5:30 PM, Dick Franks wrote:
> All of this was discussed at length on this list in 2012/2013

Yes, and some of us told you at the time that while your reasoning was
air tight, and self-consistent; the resulting change did not meet our
needs.

For example, the obvious, glaring exception to your statement that
"There is absolutely nothing useful you can do with the wire-format
domain name representation" is that you can, and often need to, stuff it
into a data store that will be used by something other than Net::DNS to
generate zone files down the road.

So while it makes perfect sense to have a way to generate 822 format
from Net::DNS, and it might even make sense to have that be the default,
it ALSO makes sense to have a way to get the wire format without having
to jump through insane hoops to do so.

... and just to save you time, no, it does not make sense for Net::DNS
to decode the wire format, then have the other system re-encode it.

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures.
This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not