[net-dns-users] AXFR of root zone

Sebastian Castro sebastian at nzrs.net.nz
Sun Sep 28 22:51:43 UTC 2014

On 29/09/14 11:42 am, Dick Franks wrote:

> On 28 September 2014 21:12, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com
> <mailto:rfg at tristatelogic.com>> wrote:
>

>     I need to be able to do an AXFR on the root zone.
>
>     I tried this and got nothing:
>
>     ========================================================================
>     #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
>
>     use Net::DNS;
>
>     my $resolver = Net::DNS::Resolver->new;
>
>     my @root_zone = $resolver->axfr ('.');
>
>     foreach my $rr (@root_zone) {
>       $rr->print;
>     }
>     ========================================================================
>
>     OK, so how may I AXFR the root zone?
>
> You can not.
>

>     There must be some trick I am missing.
>

> 1) Your script fails because your local nameserver is not authoritative
> for the root zone.

Meaning you need to point your script to a server authoritative for the
root zone to work, however, depending on your needs, you might want an
alternative transport or source.

> 2) Directing the request at one of the 13 root nameservers will also
> fail because, in common with the majority of operators, the good people
> who run the 13 authoritative root nameservers refuse AXFR requests.

Not exactly true:

for n in a b c d e f g h i j k l m ; do echo "Root $n" ; dig axfr .
@$n.root-servers.net | grep '^;; XFR' ; done
Root a
Root b
;; XFR size: 9076 records (messages 8, bytes 430404)
Root c
;; XFR size: 9076 records (messages 8, bytes 430383)
Root d
Root e
Root f
;; XFR size: 9076 records (messages 8, bytes 430383)
Root g
;; XFR size: 9076 records (messages 8, bytes 430383)
Root h
Root i
Root j
Root k
;; XFR size: 9076 records (messages 24, bytes 387834)
Root l
Root m

But it's guaranteed to stay that way.

Cheers,