[net-dns-users] Inventory (Was: How to translate the email in SOA)

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Wed Jan 9 15:25:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 15:32:10 +0100
Olaf Kolkman <olaf at nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> What I would like to now is whether there are other places where you
> experienced pain. Please, be so kind to report that as a reply to

Pain is relative, but I had to change some code I usually every day,
when upgrading to the new version.  Changes that didn't seem very
helpful to me and in fact,and technically ended up by me having to incur
additional object creation time.  This was mostly a surprise, not a
show stopper. More specifically, and this may not have been desired
behavior from the beginning, but it was handy, I would create a
Question object without the qname defined, this seems no longer
possible.  This was useful, because in a loop I would set the qname to
a unique value each way through and then push the RR into a Packet
object I had defined.

I also thought being able to override and set the various section count
values to whatever I wanted was useful as I mentioned earlier.

> error prone access to write and read DNS from the wire, however that
> may be at the expense of the ability to hack around.

That appears to be thrust of the criticisms I've seen mentioned here,
but please consider it in light of the much more significant
appreciation of all that Nlnet Labs does for the community.  Your team
rocks!

John