[net-dns-users] Dual-faced Net::DNS? (was: section RR counts read only)

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Mon Jan 7 17:24:45 UTC 2013

On Jan 7, 2013, at 2:10 AM, Calle Dybedahl wrote:
> On 20 dec 2012, at 16:58, Dick Franks <rwfranks at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> IMHO the secondary mission would be better served by a separate purpose-built test tool distribution, driven by users who need it, and which would not be routinely redistributed as part of general purpose Linux distributions.
>

> Anyway. Here's a suggestion: Instead of splitting off a special test tool distribution, let's give Net::DNS two faces. One nice, friendly, helpful and as far as possible optimized for the common case. One raw, unvarnished and unforgiving and aimed at making possible all the weird things nobody's thought of before. Possibly, the first could be built on top of the second. Or not, depending on what's easiest.

Personally, I don't see the usefulness of the "friendly" version. Give me the raw data and then (if desired) give me helper routines to convert it to a friendlier version, if that's what I want to do. Don't give me the interpreted version and make me undo what you've done.

For example, I'd really appreciate it if the Net::DNS::RR::SOA::format_rdata() didn't add comments and didn't break the data across multiple lines.

Regards,
Chris Buxton