[net-dns-users] IXFR methods

Dick Franks rwfranks at acm.org
Wed Dec 19 18:54:34 UTC 2012

On 19 December 2012 17:20, Chris Buxton <clists at buxtonfamily.us> wrote:

> Because I use that as a base version for most of my code. In this case, it uses given/when and ~~, neither of which are available in 5.8. Again, this can be fixed.
>
>> If it is to be part of Net::DNS, it will need to be portable to all
>> revisions back to 5.6.1.
>> (note that 0.69 and 0.70 tickled Perl bugs in 5.8.5 .. 5.8.8, and
>> quite possibly 5.8.3 and 5.8.4 also)
>
> I don't have any idea what changed between 5.6.1 and 5.8.

Lots. especially character coding and string handling which is a
minefield for the unwary.

 Are there any other parts of the method that would need to be fixed
to work with 5.6.1?
I did not spot anything.

>> If not, then it *must* be renamed to something which does not conflict
>> with Net::DNS namespace.
>>
>> As a general principle, user code should only use the methods as
>> described in the documentation, and refrain from direct access to any
>> internal data structures or defining additional methods.
>> That said, creative solutions to real problems are always welcomed,
>> and may result in an extension of the API and/or revised
>> documentation.
>
> I disagree. Splicing the method onto the Net::DNS::Resolver class, for my own use, gives me much cleaner code elsewhere.

Maybe convenient for you, but it risks breaking Net::DNS resolver code
which is absolutely unacceptable.
Ask yourself how we could debug or explain an apparent Net::DNS
failure induced by your code making unsolicited additions into our
code.

> I started this discussion with the hope that the code could be improved and eventually accepted as an addition to the Net::DNS::Resolver class, or else replaced by something better that does the same thing.

I am fairly warm to the idea of adding IXFR to Net::DNS.

Please raise a CPAN RT bug report requesting the  IXFR function to be
added to Net::DNS (wish list).
Just a one-liner will do; we can discuss code at some later date.

Dick