[net-dns-users] IXFR methods

Dick Franks rwfranks at acm.org
Wed Dec 19 15:14:06 UTC 2012

On 18 December 2012 21:42, Wessels, Duane <dwessels at verisign.com> wrote:

> Looks good, but I don't understand why you're discarding the DNSSEC types?  Isn't it
> possible that the caller would want those records?

I agree, to be useful it should provide everything that AXFR would provide.

> On Dec 18, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Chris Buxton wrote:

>> Has anyone else created an IXFR method for Net::DNS::Resolver?
[snip]

Is this intended as an idea to be integrated into Net::DNS itself?

>> Here's my code -- requires perl 5.10 or later:

Why 5.10?

If it is to be part of Net::DNS, it will need to be portable to all
revisions back to 5.6.1.
(note that 0.69 and 0.70 tickled Perl bugs in 5.8.5 .. 5.8.8, and
quite possibly 5.8.3 and 5.8.4 also)

If not, then it *must* be renamed to something which does not conflict
with Net::DNS namespace.

As a general principle, user code should only use the methods as
described in the documentation, and refrain from direct access to any
internal data structures or defining additional methods.
That said, creative solutions to real problems are always welcomed,
and may result in an extension of the API and/or revised
documentation.

Dick